Thursday, September 7, 2017

Grandma Schultz's Chili Sauce

My grandma Schultz didn't cook much - my grandfather did most if it. So I'm not quite sure why this is her chili sauce recipe. Maybe it came through her parents.

It's really good! We love it with pot roast and meat loaf, and on sandwiches.

Ingredients:
1 peck ripe tomatoes
10 medium onions
2 cups celery or 2 Tbs celery seed
4 red peppers (seeds removed)
2 green peppers (seeds removed)
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup mustard seeds
1/4 cup salt (to taste - I only put in about 1/8 cup))
2 cups apple cider vinegar
(I like to add a couple of shopped pears or peaches - to add flavor)

Spices:
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp ground cloves

  1. Scald, peel and chop tomatoes and put to drain. Do not use the juice.
  2. Chop or coarsely grind the other vegetables.
  3. Add spices.
  4. When tomatoes are drained, put all ingredients in large cooker (pot) and cook 2 hours until fairly thick. Stir often to prevent sticking.
  5. Put in hot sterilized jars. (I process the jars full of chili sauce for 20 mins - just to be sure).


No comments:

Post a Comment