Monday, September 4, 2017

Banana Bran Muffins



I've made these twice this weekend - a big hit!

from one of my favorite cookbooks: Jane Brody's Good Food Gourmet (the other fave is Jane Brody's Good Food Book)

1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 3 medium - I keep a bunch of frozen ones in the freezer for smoothies and used them)
1 1/2 cups buttermilk (I used milk with a few spoonfuls of lemon juice)
2 cups shredded bran cereal (100% bran or All-Bran)
1 egg white and 1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup raisins (I used chocolate chips)
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups white flour (Instead of the two flours, I used a mix of whole wheat, rye, cracked wheat)
1/2 cup loosely packed brown sugar (forgot it the second time, muffins taste great)
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves.

Preheat oven to 375

  1. In large bowl combine banana, buttermilk and bran cereal. Let stand 5 minutes.
  2. Add beaten egg and oil and raisins (if desired).
  3. In small bowl, combine flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Add to banana mixture, stirring until moist (I had to add extra milk because the mixture was too dry. It should be halfway between cookie dough and pancake batter).
  4. Distribute the dough into 24 muffin cups (I use liners).
  5. Bake until they feel firm, about 25 minutes (mine took 20).




No comments:

Post a Comment