Thank you to My Material Life blog for posting this recipe
My Favorite Lentil Soup, from Jane Brody’s Good Food Book
- 2 T olive or vegetable oil
- 2 c chopped onions
- 3 carrots, coarsely grated
- 3/4 t marjoram, crumbled
- 3/4 t thyme leaves, crumbled
- 1 28-oz can tomatoes with their juice, coarsely chopped
- 7 c broth (beef, chicken, or vegetable)*
- 1 1/2 c dried lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1/2 t salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 oz dry white wine
- 1/3 c chopped fresh parsley or 2 T dried parsley flakes
- 4 oz Cheddar, grated
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, and saute the onions, carrots, marjoram, and thyme, stirring the vegetables for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, and lentils. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat, cover the pan, and simmer the soup for about 1 hour or until the lentils are tender.
- Add the salt, pepper, wine, and parsley, and simmer the soup for a few minutes. Serve with cheese sprinkled on each portion.
* In place of homemade broth, you can use 3 bouillon cubes with 7 cups of water or 3 1/2 cups of canned broth and 3 1/2 cups of water.