Sunday, July 31, 2011

Fresh apricot sauce



I just had the best dessert ever!

I was looking for something to do with the fresh apricots we picked from our tree yesterday so I paged through my favorite cookbook and found a recipe for Sunrise-Sunset Sauce from Jane Brody's Good Food Gourmet. I made it tonight and had it with berries and Costco's non fat Greek yogurt. It was like eating an incredibly healthy and delicious version of cheesecake.

I'm going to try it on Joelle's oatmeal pancakes tomorrow.

Here's the quick and easy recipe

Sunrise-Sunset Sauce

1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1 pound fresh apricots, pitted and quartered
2 cups (1 pint) strawberries, hulled and halved
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
  1. Combine sugar and water in large saucepan and simmer 5 minutes.
  2. Add apricots and cook for 15 minutes or until very soft.
  3. Puree mixture in blender or food processor. Transfer puree to the saucepan, and add strawberries and lemon juice. Simmer for 1 minutes until strawberries are tender but still intact.
  4. Cover bowl and cool for 2 hours or longer.
As I was typing this, I realized I didn't follow the recipe correctly. I pureed the cooked apricots, with the strawberries, and lemon juice and didn't cook it any more after that. My version was so good, I don't know if I will change it.

Added later: I made it correctly with the sliced strawberries and it was equally good.

No comments:

Post a Comment