INSTANT POT GOLDEN LENTIL & SPINACH SOUP
PREP: 5 MINUTES
COOK: 30 MINUTES (INCLUDING SAUTEEING AND WARM-UP)
TOTAL: 35 MINUTES
A thick and hearty lentil soup packed full of flavor. Made specifically for the it-appliance of the moment, The Instant Pot!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium stalk celery, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt + more to taste (I used a little less)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper+ more to taste
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed well in cold water
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 8 ounces (about 6 cups) baby spinach (I used 2 cups of beet greens)
- Hit “Saute” button on Instant Pot. Add oil. When hot, add the onions, carrots, and celery. Saute, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, turmeric, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring constantly, for one minute.
- Add the lentils and pour in the broth. Stir.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure the release valve is in the “sealing” position. Press the “Manual” button and set the timer at 12 minutes (I might try 10 minutes next time).
- The Instant Pot will warm up for about 10 minutes and then start cooking. After the 12 minutes is up, quick-release by flipping the release valve to “venting” (a little bit at a time at first).
- Once venting is complete, remove the lid of the Instant Pot. Stir in the spinach. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve.
- Keeps in the refrigerator for about 3 days. Freezes well too!