Thursday, August 9, 2018

Canning Peaches


 

My little tree decided I needed peaches this year lots of them. It's only the second year of producing and did it ever go crazy! Poor thing broke two branches because of the weight of the fruit. We aren't very good at taking care of trees. I did thing the peaches - lots - but obviously not enough.

So I dived back into ancient history and revived my canning skills. To be honest - I wouldn't go out and buy peached to can them. It's lots of work. But when they are a give from your very own tree, that's different.







Here's what I made:

Simple quarts of peach halves and slices in light syrup - haven't tasted them yet but I'm sure they will be fun in winter. I did learn something - the peaches peel and pull of the stone much easier after sitting on my outdoor table for a few days. They felt ripe but were hard to peal. Later when I made the jams it was much easier. So my pieces in the jars and a bit messy.

Raspberry Peach freezer jam based on the Sure Jell package insert - didn't like this one at al. It's way too sugary.

Peach freezer jam - better than the raspberry. I like it

and BEST OF ALL BY FAR

Peach Butter - much less sugar, added spices and so yummy! Recipe is in a different post.

Total so far (and there's still loads of peaches on the table:

28 quarts of peaches
8 half pints of peach raspberry jam
3 pints of peach jam
12 half pints of peach butter
4 bags of frozen peaches




Thank you tree!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment